Monday, February 28, 2011

Frumpthing or Something, Oscar Dress Roundup

My primary reason for looking forward to the Oscars every year is the anticipation of the fashion show the women of Hollywood put on for us.  Much excitement and thought goes into the creation of their final paintings of themselves, so much so that the excitement trickles down to me!  Overall, I was disappointed, but there were standouts on both sides of the spectrum.

Hailee Steinfeld
A shining star for me was Hailee Steinfeld.  Who would imagine that a 14 year old girl could have so much style and grace?  She was a vision of loveliness in her age appropriate Marchesa dress and her Ferragamo clutch and shoes. 







Penelope Cruz, Sandra Bullock
Jennifer Lawrence, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Hudson
The ladies in red( left, Penelope Cruz; right, Sandra Bullock; below left, Jennifer Lawrence; center, Anne Hathaway; right, Jeniffer Hudson)  I am sad to say, just didn’t do it for me.  Anne Hathaway had a slight edge in her vintage Valentino, but nothing to get excited about.













Luckily, Anne’s gowns and tux became her more as the night progressed, although I wasn’t thrilled with the Tom Ford number which I thought gave her a      matronly look.
Givenchy
Lanvin tux,  Brian Atwood pumps
Tom Ford
Above left, Givenchy; Above center, Lanvin tux with Brian Atwood pumps.
My favorites are the Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta and Armani Prive.



Vivienne Westwood

Left, Vivienne Westwood; center, Aramani Prive; left, Tom Ford
Armani Prive
Atelier Versace




Oscar De La Renta
Left, Oscar De La Renta; right, Atelier Versace


Michelle Williams

Michelle Williams is lovely in her simplicity wearing Chanel.




Nicole Kidman, typically a style icon I look forward to watching, disappointed me.  Her Dior Haute Couture gown was stiff looking and I am still scratching my head over the red shoes.  Better luck next year, I hope!
Nicole in Dior

Mila Kunis would look lovely in anything, but her lilac Ellie Saab said nightgown to me.
Mila Kunis
Halle Berry in Marchesa, need I say more?  
Halle in Marchesa
Gwyneth Paltrow was the picture of perfection in Calvin Klein.
Gwyneth Paltrow

Amy Adams
Amy Adams’ L’Wren Scott gown may have been my favorite of the night, but her accessories detracted from it.  While stunning,  her emerald and diamond Cartier necklace detracted from the dress.  She would have been better off with the cuff and big emerald and diamond earrings.  Even so, she was lovely.




All in all, the stars who chose simple,  elegant lines shone, while the ones that tried for over the top were just that.




 See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment